As New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez continues to recover from hip surgery that will keep him out until at least the All-Star break while also scrambling to find a way to clear his name from Major League Baseball's most recent drug scandal, the 37 year-old veteran's career in the Bronx has likely come to an end.
After A-Rod's procedure on January 16th, the second hip surgery of his career, the Yankees began to make plans of moving on without Rodriguez in the future, sources told the New York Daily News. Baseball officials believe the surgery could diminish A-Rod's ability to the point where he could accept a settlement from the Yankees or possibly even decide to retire.
In addition to A-Rod's health concerns, his name has surfaced in the middle of the Anthony Bosch investigation, which has only damaged his image further. Bosch, a Miami native and adviser of A-Rod, was probed by the Federal Drug Administration and Major League Baseball for his connections to performance-enhancing drugs.
During the investigation, it was discovered that Bosch had supplied PED's to Rodriguez and other notable players, including former Yankee Melky Cabrera, who was suspended 50 games last season due to a failed drug test.
Before making a move regarding A-Rod's future, the Yankees will have to wait and let these situations play out. A-Rod's rehab process could hit a snag, potentially keeping him out for the entire season and possibly even the remainder of his career, forcing him to retire. The drug investigation could also play a big role in this situation, as A-Rod could potentially end up being suspended by the league for his involvement and denial of using PED's.
As the Yankees look to lower the team's payroll under the $189 million luxury tax threshold before the 2014 season, nothing would help more than dumping A-Rod's record-breaking salary.
- Like Yankees 101 on Facebook and follow Yankees 101 on Twitter.
- DEA, MLB Probing Adviser of Alex Rodriguez for Possible Links to Performance-Enhancing Drugs
- Yankees Third Baseman Alex Rodriguez Again Implicated in PED Ring
- Alex Rodriguez Schedules Hip Surgery for January 16; Dr. Bryan Kelly Hopes for All-Star Break Return
- Alex Rodriguez Scheduled for Hip Surgery Today; New York Yankees Expect Mid-Season Return
- Alex Rodriguez Will Need Hip Surgery; New York Yankees Hope He’s Back by June
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pgi