Youkilis was weighing offers from both the Yankees and the Cleveland Indians, but once Cleveland signed infielder Mark Reynolds, the Yankees emerged as favorites to land the veteran slugger.
The 33 year-old Youkilis hit .235 with 19 home runs and 60 RBI last season, starting the season with the Boston Red Sox and finishing with the Chicago White Sox.
The versatile infielder will start the season as New York's third baseman as Alex Rodriguez recovers from his upcoming hip surgery in January. He can also play first base and be used as a designated hitter if needed.
Youkilis spent the first eight and a half years of his career on Boston's end of baseball's biggest rivalry, but will now be wearing pinstripes when playing in Yankee Stadium, a scenario that many baseball fans could have never predicted.
Now that New York has filled their hole at third base, expect the Yankees to complete a deal with Ichiro Suzuki in the near future. After letting Nick Swisher test the free agent market, the Yankees plan on re-signing Ichiro to play right field. However, the team lacks power from the corner outfield positions, so another outfielder could be brought in as well.
- Like Yankees 101 on Faceboook and follow Yankees 101 on Twitter.
- New York Yankees Contact Free Agent Kevin Youkilis
- Kevin Youkilis Weighing Offers from New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians
- New York Yankees Offer Kevin Youkilis One Year $12 Million Contract
- Kevin Youkilis Seriously Considering New York Yankees’ Offer
- New York Yankees Likely to Re-Sign Ichiro Suzuki
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/nrn